Inquiring individuals are officially invited to apply for the 2023–2024 academic year’s MATSUMAE International Foundation Research Fellowship Program.
The host institution for the applicant’s research may be any institution in Japan, including universities, national research institutions, or facilities of a similar nature in the business sector.
Prior to applying, please make sure you get a letter of approval from the host university.
The MIF is not in a position to counsel or suggest candidates for host institutions in Japan.
- Type: Fellowship
- Host: Matsumae International Foundation (MIF)
- Country to study: Japan
- Level: PhD
- Field of Study: Engineering, Medicine & Natural sciences
- Application Deadline: June 30, 2023
The MIF Research Fellowship Program’s Objectives and Benefits
The following financial aid is given to those who are accepted.
Only those applicants who are accepted will get fellowships, which are meant to cover the costs of living and research in Japan. This fellowship is not transferable in any way.
- To cover costs for research activities (including materials) and living expenses in Japan, a monthly allowance of JPY 220,000 is offered.
- JPY 120,000 is given to help with some of the first living expenses in Japan.
- A recipient will get round-trip economy class airfare between Tokyo, Japan, and the closest international airport to their home.
- Travel insurance that includes coverage for medical expenses and death benefits is offered.
- In order to enhance their comprehension of Japan, the MIF invites fellowship recipients to take part in a study tour while they are on their fellowship.
- The fellowship can only be awarded during the time frame outlined in the grant letter; this time frame cannot be altered in any way.
The MATSUMAE International Foundation Research Fellowship Program is only available to the person named in the grant letter. Regarding the immigration processes, flight tickets, or lodging costs for the chosen applicant’s family, friends, etc., the MIF will not be in any way engaged.
Courses for the MIF Research Fellowship Program
- Natural sciences
Qualifications for the MIF Research Fellowship Program
Non-Japanese nationals who satisfy all of the requirements below may submit their application materials:
- Prior to applying, candidates must secure an invitation (acceptance) letter from a Japanese host institution.
- Candidates must be Ph.D. (Doctoral degree) holders.
- The age of the applicant must be 49 years old or less at the time of application.
- Candidates must be proficient in either English or Japanese.
- No prior or ongoing stays in Japan (apart from brief visits for conferences or sightseeing) are permitted for applicants.
- The applicants must be employed in their home countries, commit to returning there after their fellowship stay is through, and work toward the advancement of their own nations.
Duration of the MIF Research Fellowship Program
Fellowship Duration: From April 2024 to March 2025, a period of six months.
Please provide this information on your Application Form (Form #1) along with the start and end months of your stay. (For instance, from September 2024 to February 2025, six months.)
The following files need to be emailed to the MIF as PDFs:
- Do not combine all of the papers into a single PDF.
- English must be typed in all documents.
- Documents that are insufficient won’t be accepted.
The following will be instantly and without warning rejected:
- emails larger than 10 MB.
- email messages that include attachments with file types other than “pdf.”
- emails with any compressed file types as attachments, like “zip” or “rar.”
- emails with links or program files that can be downloaded.
The following must be included in a study proposal that you submit:
- (a) The research’s content, goal, and technique
- (a) The research project’s road map
- (c) The advantage the research will have for your own nation.
- On the basis of your conversations with your host professor or researcher in Japan, (a) and (b) should be stated in full.
List of Publications and Curriculum Vitae (CV):
Regarding the list of publications, kindly include the names of the publications’ authors and titles, as well as the name of the journal, the relevant page(s), and the year of publication. Please be sure to prominently display the publication’s name that is connected to the study you planned to undertake in Japan.
Letter of Recommendation:
- Your present home institution’s (employer’s) letterhead must be used for the recommendation letter, and it must be from them.
- It should attest to your academic prowess and accomplishments and attest that study leave is available during the fellowship period.
Soft copies of Academic Certificates/Diplomas for Ph.D., Master’s, and Bachelor’s Degrees:
Please enclose English translations of these documents if they aren’t already available in that language (self-translations are not permitted).
- Invitation letter must be issued by and bear the signature of your Japanese host professor or scholar.
- The letter must state whether they are in favor of your fellowship time, the research topic, and allowing you to utilize the facilities and make lodging arrangements while you are on fellowship.
- A letter that is not written on the host institution’s letterhead and is not signed by the scholar serving as the host will not be accepted.
To host professors and academics in Japan:
In your letter, kindly include the following details.
- (1) The first name
- (2) Institutional membership (faculty and departments included)
- (3) Contact details, including postal code, address, phone number, and email address
You have the option of writing your letter in English or Japanese. Please remember to include (1) and (2) in both English and Japanese, though.
To enable them to submit it with their application materials, kindly email the applicant your signed letter.
How to Apply
Are you capable and interested in the MATSUMAE International Foundation Research Fellowship Program? To apply, visit the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) website at mif-testpage.com.
Please download and complete the application form. Attached must be an ID photo shot within the last three months.
Please be as accurate as possible when filling out the form.
No applications will be accepted prior to or following the application period for any reason.
Natural science, engineering, and medicine are given top attention as research fields.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can sponsor me to study in Japan?
The financial supporter must be preferably a direct member of your family, such as your spouse, parent or sibling. At least 1,500,000 JPY (or equivalent in your currency at the time; approx).
How much bank balance is required for Japan student visa?
The financial requirements for a Japanese Student Visa are about 2 Million Yen for one year.
How long can you stay in Japan without a visa?
You must have a valid passport and an onward/return ticket for tourist/business "visa free" stays of up to 90 days. Your passport must be valid for the entire time you are staying in Japan.
Can I open a bank account in Japan with student visa?
Setting up a bank account in Japan from abroad is not possible as you will need to present your visa and residence card in-person to your chosen Japanese bank. Only those with a residence permit may open a bank account in Japan.
- Glasgow Caledonian University Masters Scholarship for International Students
- Wittenborg University of Applied Sciences Tech Women MBA Scholarship
- Oxford Brookes University Sanctuary Scholarship
- University Of Bonn BIGS-DR Doctoral Scholarship Program for Developing Countries
- British Council Stem Scholarship 2023
- ANU International Chancellor’s Scholarship 2023
- Global Korea Scholarship 2023