The foundation of the Global Awards program, which debuted in 2022, is WIPO’s objective to guarantee that intellectual property supports innovation and creativity worldwide for the benefit of all.
The Global Awards competition seeks to address the need to create a more inclusive global innovation ecosystem that better harnesses the enormous creative and innovative energies of entrepreneurs, youth, and women. It also aims to reward businesses that make wise use of intellectual property and promote the commercialization of IP assets.
The WIPO Global Awards honor and assist innovators, producers, and business owners that use intellectual property (IP) rights to accomplish their objectives, bring in money, create jobs, address regional and international issues, and promote local and national development.
Also Apply: World Trade Organization Internship 2024| WTO
About World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
One of the 15 specialized agencies of the United Nations (UN) is the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO; French: Organisation mondiale de la propriété intellectuelle (OMPI)).In accordance with the 1967 Convention Establishing the World Intellectual Property Organization, WIPO was established in order to collaborate with national and international organizations in order to promote and safeguard intellectual property (IP) worldwide. It started operating on April 26, 1970, the day the convention came into effect.
- Type: Entrepreneurs
- Host Organization: World Intellectual Property Organization(WIPO)
- Country of Award: Switzerland
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Opens: Opens in January of each year
Objective and Benefits of the WIPO Global Awards
- Worldwide exposure, acknowledgment, and promotion for every participant.
- The winners are invited to additional networking events and the awards ceremony in Geneva, Switzerland.
- A customized mentorship program is offered to winners to help them reach new business objectives and make connections and money easier to obtain.
Eligiblity Requirements for the WIPO Global Awards
- Accepting self-nominations from candidates worldwide and across all sectors of the economy.
- The nomination procedure looks for innovators, producers, and business owners who use intellectual property (IP) rights to further their enterprises and whose abilities, technological advancements, and creative works advance society and enhance the lives of others.
- A broad, impartial international jury with a specialization in intellectual property, innovation, the creative industries, business, and investment chooses the award winners.
1. Effective IP Commercialization
The SMEs exhibit a comprehension and proficiency in utilizing intellectual property rights, or a blend of these rights, for safeguarding, overseeing, and promoting inventive goods, services, and/or imaginative content, along with other non-tangible resources like data, in order to accomplish business and/or corporate goals that extend beyond their national borders.
2. Beneficial Impact on Society
The positive impact that small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) can have on the economy, society, and culture—including, but not restricted to, environmental, gender, and inclusivity concerns.
3. Diversity among the Nominees
The panel will pick candidates based on a methodology that promotes inclusivity and diversity in terms of geographic representation and the candidates’ home countries’ degree of development.
Who Selects the WIPO Global Awards Winners?
A broad, impartial international jury with a specialization in intellectual property, innovation, the creative industries, business, and investment chooses the award winners.
Also Apply: University of Canterbury Scholarships 2024-2025
How to Apply for the WIPO Global Awards
What is the WIPO Global Awards application and selection process?
There are four distinct phases to the process:
The application is the first stage of a WIPO Global Awards entry.
1. The Application Window
(Opens annually in January)
- An online application in any of the seven UN languages—Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Japanese, Russian, or Spanish—will be accessible during the application period.
- Participants should specifically describe how they have leveraged intellectual property rights to support corporate success, taking into account the economic, social, and cultural contributions as well as the initiatives taken to advance gender equality and address development issues.
- Confidential information sharing is not necessary.
- Ideal if finished by the company’s CEO and/or management head.
The second round in entering the WIPO Global Awards is shortlisting the candidates.
2. In May of every year, the finalists in the competition for prizes are made public.
- Out of all applications that are submitted on time, the WIPO Secretariat will select up to 25 finalists for the shortlist.
- To provide them prominence and acknowledgment, the 25 finalists will be revealed on WIPO media platforms.
Selecting the Winners
The third phase in entering the WIPO Global Awards is choosing the winners.
3. Winners are chosen by an international panel in June of each year.
- An international jury including distinguished individuals with expertise in intellectual property (IP) from a range of backgrounds, including technology, business, creative industries, investment, and innovation, is assembled by WIPO.
- The winners will receive immediate notification so they can plan ahead.
Award Ceremony in Geneva
Step four of submitting an entry for the WIPO Global Awards is attending the ceremony.
4. The annual July awards ceremony is held in Geneva.
- Winners’ announcement to the public.
- The winners, jury members, sponsors, mentors, and other esteemed attendees will be invited to the Awards Ceremony in Geneva, which will take place as a special WIPO General Assembly event.
Both qualified and interested? To learn more, go to the WIPO website.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the award program of WIPO?
The awards honor and assist innovators, producers, and business owners that use intellectual property (IP) rights to accomplish their objectives, bring in money, create jobs, address regional and international issues, and promote local and national development.
How can one join WIPO as a member?
Through the decision-making bodies, the member nations of WIPO decide on the organization's direction, spending, and operations. There are presently 193 member states in the organization. States must lodge an instrument of ratification or accession with the Director General in order to become members.
What other name does WIPO go by?
Established in 1967, the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations with the mission of advancing intellectual property (IP) protection and fostering global creativity. In essence, WIPO serves as a global platform for IP policy, services, collaboration, and information.
What is Intellectual Property?
Intellectual property, or IP, includes works of literature, art, inventions, designs, and names, symbols, and pictures used for commercial purposes.
Patents, copyright, and trademarks are a few examples of intellectual property that is legally protected and allow people to profit financially or get notoriety from their inventions. The IP system seeks to promote an atmosphere where creativity and innovation can thrive by finding the ideal balance between innovators’ interests and the larger public interest.