United Nations Internship Program: Have you ever heard on television, “To Maintain global peace, security, and to promote international development”? I guess you have. Continue reading to learn about the United Nations Internship Program 2023: Salaries and Application Procedure.
The United Nations’ motto is “Maintaining global peace, security, and advancing international development.” An international organization created to promote world peace and security.
This worldwide organization arose at the conclusion of the Second World War in 1945, a bloody conflict that led to the destruction of lives and property. On June 26, 1945, representatives from fifty-one countries signed the United Nations Charter.
With the only mission of promoting international peace and security, the United Nations has employed precise and meticulous diplomatic strategies in its discussions and public policy. This is because its responsibilities include the prevention of conflict, the resolution of inter-party dispute through peacekeeping or the creation of conditions conducive to the maintenance of peace and unity.
Also read: International Monetary Fund Internship 2023
United Nations Internship Program 2023
Currently, the organization consists of 193 Member States and is headquartered in New York City. The United Nations is comprised of numerous affiliated agencies; collectively, they are known as United Nations Common System Organizations.
The nature of the international organization is defined as both concise and intricate. Isn’t it hilarious? Remember that I mentioned the seriousness of the United Nations’ commitments; no one would jest about them, thereby preventing a third world war.
I’d appreciate it if you’d allow me to highlight for your perusal the numerous topics being handled by the United Nations. They consist of:
- The Human Right and Humanitarian Assistance
- Global Security
- Human Development
- Sustainable Development
- Cooperation and Integration Worldwide
- Financial Sector Growth
- Children Development
- International Justice
These are the most essential topics that the United Nations discusses in order to accomplish their responsibilities and live up to their motto, which is To Maintain Global Peace, Security, and Promote International Development.
United Nations Internship Program
The adage “Knowledge is Power” cannot be contested because it continues to be validated by the innovations we create on a daily basis and, more importantly, by the well-reasoned decisions we make in order to accomplish great outcomes.
Similarly, the International Organization deems it prudent to engage in relevant research activities that would help improve or better explain the answers to linked challenges, so enhancing the value of their extensive body of knowledge.
The United Nations Internship Program accepts applicants in particular fields of study. I feel privileged to bring these to your attention. They consist of:
Check out: Best International MBA Programs in 2023
Engineering and Human Applied Sciences
- Public and Business Administration
- Economics and Accountancy
- Computing and ICT
- Any relevant subject
- International Politics
- Human Sciences
- Relations Internationales
- Any connected subject
Health and Biology/Nature
- Health (Medicine, Physiotherapy, Nutrition, etc) (Medicine, Physiotherapy, Nutrition, etc)
- Environment Studies
- Any connected subject
From the above, you are opened to a variety of opportunities that you can tap into and place your footprint on.
Activities of a United Nations Internship Program
Similarly to how soldiers are informed of the mode of engagement, a potential UN Intern must be aware of the basic actions he or she would likely be thrust into upon admission.
They are divided into the following categories:
- Research Exercises
- Administrative Assistance Tasks
As stated previously, research should revolve around the agency’s needs. Thus, it is possible to classify the research as resourceful and a beneficial investment. There are particulars that an excellent intern’s research should include or cover.
These consist of the following:
- Documenting Information
- Analysis of Statistical data
- Research subjects pertinent to the creation of publications
- Document preparation and editing
- Using computer software to generate tables, graphs, and figures
- Developing and implementing questionnaires
- Examining significant publications.
I believe given the emphasis on research you would picture of the United Nation as a sea of some type, full with information and located someplace in Mars. It’s acceptable to view it in this manner; simply laugh away your astonishment so we can proceed.
Interns at the United Nations also gain administrative experience. They get to apply their prowess as they execute administrative support chores. The required responsibilities differ depending on the department’s or agency’s specific mission.
I will now describe some of the most frequent responsibilities under the
category of administrative support. They consist of:
- Contributing to the resolution of organizational issues
- Creating records and institutional documentation
- Participating in meetings and training with other members of the agency
- coordinating meetings, conferences, and forums
- Providing additional help based on your professional expertise.
- Client meetings with the agency
- Working on the internal and external communication of the company (preparing audio-visual materials, managing social networks, generating institutional repositories, or preparing internal documents)
- Developing and presenting presentations
I believe you find these activities entertaining and exciting. You will be informed of the eligibility conditions so that you can submit a successful application.
Check out: IMF Internship Program 2022
Requirements for United Nations Internship Program
There are numerous standards that must be met while submitting an application. It is essential to remember that the educational qualifications for each United Nations Internship Program vary. Other examples include:
- Enrollment in a program leading to a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent.
- Enrolling in a graduate degree program (Masters, Ph.D., or equivalent).
- Must have graduated from college or graduate school (in the last 1-3 years)
- Be in the final year of a Bachelor’s degree program.
Salary for United Nations Internship Program
Some United Nations entities, roughly 19 of them, offer salaries. Others do not provide or offer pay. It is essential to note that UNICEF may offer paid and unpaid positions.
The majority of UN institutions pay salaries in US dollars or euros. Depending on the location of the internship, this may vary.
Application Procedure for United Nations Internship Program
There are essentially three sorts of UN System Internships. They consist of:
- Application by means of rosters
- Applying for particular openings
- Sending applications via email.
For more information, kindly visit this link.
FAQs On United Nations Internship Program
Do United Nations interns get paid?
Cost: United Nations interns are not paid. All costs related to travel, insurance, accommodation, and living expenses must be borne by either the interns or their sponsoring institutions.
Is it hard to get an internship at the UN?
Internship positions in the United Nations are generally very competitive. There are several things that can make securing an internship in the UN hard. Firstly, the United Nations receives a lot of applications for internships.
What does the UN look for in interns?
You must have excellent command of either English or French, and be neither a child nor a sibling of a United Nations Secretariat staff member. You should also know that most internships last between 2-6 months and that most internships at the UN are still not paid.
Which UN agencies pay interns?
Also sometimes you may find paid internships in some UN agencies like: UNICEF (partly paid). If you would like to get notices about paid internships daily, we have great news for you! Our partners develop a web site that devoted initiative to provide paid internships, scholarships, traineeships.
- CIA Undergraduate Internship Program in USA 2023
- UNICEF Internship Program 2023
- KPMG Global Internship Program 2023
- KAUST VSRP Internship Program 2023
- WFP Internship Program
- FAO Internship Program 2022
- IMF Internship Program 2022