The UN FAO/Hungarian Government Scholarship is organized by The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). FAO is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger and improve nutrition and food security. Its Latin motto, fiat panis, translates to “let there be bread”. It was founded in October 1945.
The FAO is headquartered in Rome, Italy and maintains regional and field offices around the world, operating in over 130 countries. It helps governments and development agencies coordinate their activities to improve and develop agriculture, forestry, fisheries, and land and water resources. It also conducts research, provides technical assistance to projects, operates educational and training programs, and collects data on agricultural output, production, and development.
Composed of 197 member states, the FAO is governed by a biennial conference representing each member country and the European Union, which elects a 49-member executive council. The Director-General, currently Qu Dongyu of China, serves as the chief administrative officer. There are various committees governing matters such as finance, programs, agriculture, and fisheries.
The following Master of Science degree courses are being offered in English for the 2021-22 academic year:
- Agricultural water management engineering (Szent István University)
- Plant protection (Szent István University)
- Crop production (Szent István University)
The following universities and faculties are participating:
- Szent István University, Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Gödöllő
- Szent István University, Georgikon Campus, Keszthely
Details of UN FAO/Hungarian Government Scholarship
- Scholarship Type: Fully Funded
- Host Institution(s): Hungarian University of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Hungary
- Study Level: Masters
- Scholarship Worth: See Scholarship benefits (below)
- Nationality: See eligible countries
Also check Hohai University CSC Scholarship 2022
Eligibilities of UN FAO/Hungarian Government Scholarship
Candidates will be selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- Citizenship and residency of one of the eligible countries
- Excellent school achievements
- English language proficiency (for courses taught in English)
- Good health
- Age (candidates under 30 are preferred)
Eligible Regions: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Chad, Egypt, Ethiopia, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kosovo1, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, North Macedonia, Madagascar, Mali, Myanmar, Republic of Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Namibia, Nigeria, North Korea, State of Palestine, the Philippines, Republic of Cabo Verde, Serbia, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen.
Aim and Benefits of UN FAO/Hungarian Government Scholarship
The scholarship will cover:
- Application and tuition fees throughout the study period with basic books and notes;
- Dormitory accommodation;
- Subsistence costs;
- Health insurance.
Also apply for Fulbright Scholarship US 2022
Student selection will take place in two phases:
- Phase 1: FAO will pre-screen candidates and submit applications to the Ministry of Agriculture of Hungary that will send them to the corresponding University as chosen by the applicants. Students must submit only COMPLETE dossiers. Incomplete dossiers will not be considered. Files without names will not be processed.
- Phase 2: Selected candidates may be asked to take a written or oral English examination as part of the admission procedure. The participating University will run a further selection process and inform each of the successful candidates. Student selection will be made by the Universities only, without any involvement on the part of FAO. Selected students will also be notified by the Ministry.
How to Apply for UN FAO/Hungarian Government Scholarship
Applications should be submitted via email from 15 January to 28 February 2021 toREU-Scholarship@fao.org
For more details, please read the related documents
Documents Required for Application
- Application form duly completed
- A recent curriculum vitae
- A copy of high school/college diploma and transcript/report of study or copy of the diploma attachment
- A copy of certificate of proficiency in English
- Copies of relevant pages of passport showing expiration date and passport number
- A letter of recommendation
- Statement of motivation
- Health Certificate issued by Medical Doctor
- Certificate of Good Conduct issued by local police authority.
February 28, 2022