TWAS-DBT Scholarship in India is open for application to all students who wish to pursue their Doctoral studies in the country. The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) of the Ministry of Science and Technology in India and UNESCO-TWAS established a scholarship scheme for foreign scholars from developing countries who are prospective researchers in the field of biotechnology at the Ph.D level.
In 1983, TWAS was founded by a distinguished group of scientists from the developing world, under the leadership of Abdus Salam, the Pakistani physicist and Nobel laureate. They shared a belief that developing nations, by building strength in science and engineering, could build the knowledge and skill to address such challenges as hunger, disease and poverty. From the start, the Academy had essential support from Italian scientists and political leaders.
- Funding: Full Scholarship
- Level: Ph.D
- Deadline: September 15, 2022.
- Type of Study: Full Time
- Country: India
- Host: TWAS/DBT/UNESCO
- Nationality: International
Fields of Study:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
Eligibility of TWAS-DBT Scholarship in India:
To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be at the limit age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Nationals of a developing country are qualified (other than India).
- Applicants must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Possess a Master’s or equivalent degree in science or engineering.
- Applicant must be a FULL-TIME student and be willing to register at a university in India.
- Be accepted at a biotechnology institution in India. Please note that requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen host institution(s) and not to DBT.
- Provide a research proposal outline based on the format of the sample indicated at the point of application.
- Supply evidence of proficiency in English, if instructional language of education is not English.
- Applicant must provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship.
- Not engage in other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members. (Accompanying family members will be the responsibilities of the applicant if selected).
To apply, candidates are required to submit the following documents;
- Application Form
- Acceptance Letter
- Reference letters
- Academic transcripts
- Evidence of proficiency in English (optional for native speakers of English Language).
How to Apply for TWAS-DBT Scholarship in India:
- The application has started dated 15 June, 2022.
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 15 September, 2022.
- No applications will be accepted after the deadline. Therefore, you are advised to submit your online application as early as possible.
- Applications for the TWAS-DBT Ph.D Scholarship can only be submitted to TWAS via the online portal. A tutorial on how to use the online application form is provided by TWAS on the application portal.
- For SANDWICH Scholars (only if already registered for a PhD in the HOME country) applicants should ensure that the Vice-Chancellor or Registrar of the university sends a signed copy of the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” on institutional headed paper to TWAS (see sample form).
- Proceed to submit an Acceptance Letter from an Indian biotechnology institution to TWAS when applying online. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters must be on letter-headed paper and SIGNED by a referee. The subject line must contain the name DBT/PG/ and the applicant’s surname. Be aware that only signed reference letters will be accepted.
- In case you have applied to or registered for any Indian scholarship or fellowships (especially INSA JRD TATA and JNCASR-CICS) in the current or previous year, you must clearly specified in the application form.
Check Also; The Cyprus Institute Scholarship
Results of the fellowship selection should be available toward the end of 2022 or early 2023 and selected candidates will be able to start their academic session towards the beginning of 2023. If selected, students will be notified by TWAS via provided emails.
To apply, visit the application portal through the link provided below. Create an account to start your application. Filling the application might take some time. You can save, retrieve and update your application as many times as you want before submitting it. Once the application is complete, make sure you submit it in order to be considered for selection. Once the application has been submitted you will not be able to update, modify or delete it. You will only be able to view it.