JSPS International Scholarship 2022 provides tutorial and financial support of $26,504 corresponding to JPY3,600,000 for promising researchers in Asia and Africa, who wish to obtain their Ph.D. degrees from Japanese universities.
The grants will cover a full range of creative and pioneering research from basic to applied fields across the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
JSPS which is the shortened form of “The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science” has been conducting the RONPAKU (Dissertation PhD) Program since 1978.
The objective of JSPS RONPAKU (Dissertation PhD) Program is to provide tutorial and offer financial support for promising researchers in Asia and Africa or other specified countries who wish to study their Ph.D. degrees from Japanese universities through the submission of a dissertation without matriculating a doctoral course.
Fact About JSPS:
JSPS was founded in 1932 with an imperial endowment, the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science is the Japan’s sole independent funding agency dedicated to the advancement of science across a wide and diverse spectrum of program initiatives, including the funding of scientific research, the promotion of international scientific exchange, and the reform and internationalization of Japanese universities. JSPS provides stable and constant support for the activities of researchers.
In 2018, JSPS eventually entered its fourth 5-year period of mid-term objectives, which comprises five pillars upon which JSPS vigorously carries out programs that are essential to the advancement of science. These pillars are;
- Creating diverse genres of world-level knowledge,
- Fostering the next generation of talented researchers who will take on the challenge of pioneering new knowledge,
- Enhancing the education and research functions of universities by leveraging their unique strengths,
- Building a robust international research infrastructure
- Creating a comprehensive base for analyzing science information.
- Funding: $26,504
- Level: Ph.D (Doctorate)
- Deadline: August 15, 2022.
- Type of Study: Full Funding.
- Country: Japan
- University: Any Japanese University.
- Nationality: Asians & Africans
Eligibility of JSPS International Scholarship 2022:
To be considered for the JSPS Scholarship, applicants must the following criteria;
- Eligible applicants wishing to receive a RONPAKU scholarship must contact a prospective Japanese advisor and discuss applying for the program with him/her.
- After obtaining the prospective Japanese advisor’s consent, RONPAKU candidates must fill out a Form 2.
- RONPAKU candidates are to have their home institution prepare a Form 3(Letter of Recommendation). After completing their Form 2, candidates are to submit the application package (Forms 2 and 3) to their prospective Japanese advisor.
- Japanese advisors are to submit a Form 1 via their university to JSPS together with the package of documents received from the RONPAKU candidate.
Please Note: Applications submitted directly by candidates to JSPS will not be considered. Other criteria that pertain to the applicants include;
Applicants must be a researcher who;
- Has not obtained or completed a PhD degree from any university
- Wishes to obtain a PhD degree from a Japanese university through the submission of a dissertation.
- Already achieved substantial research results and is likely through dissertation research under the program to successfully obtain a PhD degree. This applicant must be nominated by a home advisor and the president or Head of his/her affiliated university/research institution.
- Possess a valid identification of nationality in an applicable country.
- Is staffed or employed full time at a university or research institution in his/her domestic country or will be appointed to such a position by April 1, 2023.
- At the limit of 45 years of age or younger as of the 1st of April, 2023.
How to Apply:
- Applications for this program are received through the JSPS’s electronic application system. Only applications submitted by the applicant’s (Japanese advisor) affiliated institution together with the required documents by the announced deadline will be accepted.
- Applications submitted individually by applicants or candidates or submitted by postal mail will not be accepted. For details on using the system, please refer to the electronic application system guide.
- Eligible students who have completed a Master’s degree program or equivalent should apply only.
- RONPAKU fellows are required to consult a Japanese university to conduct research under the direct supervision of their advisor in Japan. The advisor may visit the RONPAKU fellow’s home university or research institution when called for to supervise the fellow’s/student’s research in conjunction with his/her home advisor.
Read Also; The Orange Knowledge Program
The selection process is divided in two parts. The first steps are;
In the first step of RONPAKU screening, JSPS has each application screened by three referees, chosen according to the applicant’s research area.
The first-step screening criteria are:
- Research ability.
- Research plan.
- Japanese advisor’s suitability and concord for supervising the RONAPKU Fellow.
Each referee scores applications by grades ranging from 5, 4, 3, 2 or 1. They are decoded as;
- 5: Highest possibility that applicant can obtain PhD degree within the given tenure
- 4: High possibility that applicant can obtain PhD degree within the allotted tenure
- 3: Possibility that applicant can obtain PhD degree
- 2: Little/Least possibility that applicant can obtain PhD degree
- 1: No possibility that the applicant can obtain PhD degree
The Second selection steps;
- As the second step, JSPS holds panel reviews on the applications.
- Acknowledgement of the selection results will be made in writing through the head of the applying institution to RONPAKU candidates. JSPS will not notify you of selection results directly.
Benefits of the Scholarship:
Selected students for the JSPS International Scholarship 2022 will enjoy the following benefits;
- The Scholarship period will run for a maximum of 3 years, starting from the 1st of April, 2023.
- Total funding provided to the Japanese host university which could be maximum of 3.6 million yen Up to 1.2 million yen per fiscal year.
- The following expenses can be shouldered by JSPS; Travel expenses (RONPAKU fellow’s visits to Japan, advisor’s visit to fellow’s country), goods/materials, other dissertation-related expenses.
- Payment procedure.
JSPS will enter into a contract with the Japanese host institution commissioning it to carry out the RONPAKU program’s operation.
- This program is administered based on the annual budget, paid and executed each Japanese fiscal year executing from 1 April to 31 March.
- Japanese advisor’s consent,
- Letter of recommendation from your domestic institution
- Application Package/Form
- Curriculum Vitae (Academic transcript included)
You may be required to provide other documents that are not specified here, following the application prompts will make known other needed documents.