Wednesday, April 17, 2024
No menu items!
HomeArticlesHow To Become A Permanent Resident Of Canada

How To Become A Permanent Resident Of Canada

How To Become A Permanent Resident Of Canada. For some persons, the process to become a permanent resident of Canada may be quick; for others, it will take longer. Direct entry into Canada is possible from abroad or within the country by submitting an application to one of the several immigration schemes offered there.

However, a lot of people who receive permanent status initially come to Canada as temporary residents. When in possession of a work or study permit, this is possible. The application for permanent residence takes into account the temporary resident’s experience in Canada.

The following are Canada’s three primary direct immigration programs for permanent residence. Study up!

Read: 12 Affordable Hypnotherapy Training Programs

Types of Canadian Residency

  • Economic Class
  • Family Class
  • Business Class

Is Economic Class Immigration an Option for Me?

Over the next three years, Canada plans to accept more immigrants from the Economic Class than any other group. Candidates must consider the Economic Class when developing their immigration plan. The Express Entry method is applied to immigration for federal economic purposes.

What is Express Entry?

This is a management system Canada uses for its economic immigration programs.

Canada’s federal economic immigration programs are as follows:

  1. Federal Skilled Worker
  2. Federal Skilled Trades
  3. Canada Experience Class
  4. Provincial immigration program

Before You Apply

The Provincial Nominee Class (PNC)

People with skills, education, and work experience that can boost the Canadian economy are encouraged to apply for permanent residency in Canada.

The Provincial Nominee Class (PNC) gives provincial and territorial governments the option of selecting immigrants in line with the region’s economic need. each territory and province:

  • Develops its own criteria and procedures for selecting nominations
  • Attempting to put forth those who are most likely to integrate well into the region’s social and economic life.

To apply to the PNC, follow these two (2) steps:

  • Before applying to the province or territory where you intend to live and receiving a nomination, you must first apply to the IRCC for permanent residency.
  • Your application will then be evaluated by an IRCC officer using Canadian immigration regulations.

Who may use this application?

Applications for permanent residence under the PNC can be submitted by people who have been nominated by one of the following provinces or territories:

  • Alberta
  • British Columbia
  • Manitoba
  • New Brunswick
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
  • Northwest Territories
  • Nova Scotia
  • Ontario
  • Prince Edward Island
  • Saskatchewan
  • The Yukon Territory

Read Also: Top 15 Online Forensic Accounting Degrees

Provincial and Territorial Contacts

You must first be nominated by a province or territory before you may submit an application to immigrate to Canada as a provincial nominee. There are distinct application and nomination processes for each province or territory. However, for candidates who hold Provincial Nominee Certificates, IRCC has the right to make the final determination about a request for permanent residence utilizing the current selection and admission criteria, including security, criminal, and medical components.

Contact the following provincial and territorial authorities if you need more information about the PNC or if you have questions about how to be nominated by a certain province or territory:

Provincial and Territorial Contacts

Money needed to move to Canada

New immigrants are not given any financial assistance by the Canadian government. You must demonstrate that you have enough cash on hand, free of debt or obligations, to support your family after you arrive in Canada.

You should thoroughly investigate the cost of living in the area of Canada where you intend to reside. Bring as much cash as you can to Canada to make setting up shop there easier.

Payment of taxes

You must inform the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer if you are entering Canada with a sum larger than or equal to CAN$10,000, or its equivalent in a foreign currency. These funds could take the following forms:

Cash, bearer securities (such as stocks, bonds, debentures, and Treasury bills), bankers’ drafts, checks, travelers’ checks, or money orders are all acceptable forms of payment.
Note: Penalties and/or jail time may apply if monies are not disclosed.

Employment in Canada

Planning is needed to find work in Canada. Before submitting an immigration application, you should gather as much information as you can. Your ability to find employment in your dream job is not guaranteed.

Even though licensure and credential evaluation are not prerequisites for the provincial nominee application, you should be aware of them if you’re thinking about moving to Canada.

For more information, see Regulated and Non-Regulated Occupations (PDF, 2.12MB).

Regulated occupations

Twenty percent of people working in Canada work in occupations that are regulated to protect the health and safety of Canadians. Examples include:

  • nurses
  • engineers
  • electricians
  • teachers

The creation of entry requirements for certain vocations, the recognition of past education, training, and experience, and the issuance of licenses necessary for practice fall under the purview of provincial and territory regulatory agencies.

Between provinces, territories, and occupations, the recognition procedure differs. In general, only Canada can be used to recognize credentials and grant licenses. It might take some time. You might need to:

  • Provide proof of your qualifications
  • Take a language test (which may be different from the ones needed for immigration)
  • Finish the technical exam (with the associated price)
  • Work under supervision

Non-regulated occupations

There are no fixed standards for non-regulated occupations, and getting a license is not legally required. The employer will determine the requirements and may ask for membership in a professional organization.

Credential assessment

An evaluation of credentials provides insight into how foreign credentials stack up against Canadian credentials. An evaluation cannot ensure that:

  • A regulatory agency will provide you a license to practice, and a Canadian employer will recognize your credentials.
  • However, a credential assessment will aid in your job hunt and help you better grasp the Canadian educational system.
  • Consult the Foreign Credentials Referral Office (PDF, 2.12MB) to have one of the province evaluation services evaluate your credentials.

Information about the labor market

There are various job prospects and labor market circumstances in Canada. It is crucial to learn about the local conditions in the location you choose to call home.

For details on the Canadian labor market, job banks, and provincial and territorial labor markets, please refer to the Working in Canada tool.

Define family members

Your spouse or common-law partner, your children who are dependent on you, and any children who are dependent on them are considered members of your family.


refers to any of the two parties (of any gender) in a marriage that is recognized as valid in both the country where the marriage took place and Canada.

Read: How to Become a Web Developer – All the Information You Need

Information of importance

The Regulations do not recognize polygamous unions or weddings conducted via proxy, telephone, fax, internet, or other similar means in which one or both parties were not physically present. Consult our policy on the legality of marriage for additional details.

A common-law spouse

Refers to a person who has been continually living in a conjugal relationship with another person (of any gender) for at least one year. When two people have made a significant level of commitment to one another, they are said to be in a conjugal relationship.

Evidence that the couple lives together, supports one another financially and emotionally, has children together, or presents themselves in public as a couple can be used to demonstrate this.

Common-law partners who have been in a committed relationship for at least a year but are unable to cohabitate or be seen together in public due to legal restrictions in their home country or who have been split up for reasons beyond their control (such as civil war or armed conflict), may still be eligible and should be listed on the application.

Relying children

The “lock-in date” is the date at which we determine your child’s eligibility to be treated as a dependent. This is often the day your application was received. Even though your child’s age may change throughout processing, we look at your child’s age on the lock-in date to determine whether or not they qualify as a dependent.

If your child or the child of your spouse or common-law partner fits the criteria listed below on the lock-in date, they will be regarded as dependent children:

  • They are under 22 years old and are not married or in a common-law relationship.
  • Children who satisfy both of the following conditions and are at least 22 years old are considered dependents:
  • Since they were less than 22 years old, they have relied on their parents for financial support. Additionally, they are unable to sustain themselves financially due to a mental or physical ailment.
  • Dependants must continue to meet these standards, with the exception of age, until your application has been fully processed.
  • A earlier definition of dependent children may be applicable if your child’s age was locked in on or before October 23, 2017.

Also Read: 15 Most Affordable Michigan Online Schools

Dependent offspring of a dependent

refers to the applicant’s dependent children as well as, if relevant, the applicant’s spouse or common-law partner’s children.

Biometric requirements (fingerprints and photos)

  • At a biometric collection service point, fingerprints and photographs (biometric information) may need to be taken of you and your family members in person.
  • The provision of biometric data is not required of Canadian citizens or Canadian permanent residents.
  • Ascertain whether you must provide biometrics.

If you must provide biometrics, you may do so after:

You will receive a Biometric Instruction Letter (BIL), which will direct you to a list of biometric collecting service points from which you can select, after paying your application and biometric costs and submitting them.
When providing your biometrics at the biometric collection service location, you must bring the BIL with you.

As soon as you receive the BIL, we urge you to submit your biometrics. After we get your biometrics, we will begin processing your application.

Where to submit your biometric data

To provide your biometrics at one of these authorized biometric collecting service locations, you must make an appointment.

A representation is used

A paid representative must login in to their Representative Portal account in order to submit your application online on your behalf. Before submitting the application, you, the Primary Applicant, must electronically sign it and have your representative provide a declaration.

If you (the lead applicant) wish to give a representative (whether paid or unpaid) the authority to act on your behalf, you must:

  • Use a representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 648.31 KB) Form must be filled out, signed (either electronically or manually), and uploaded with your application.
  • In order fo to release information from your application to a person other than you (the principal applicant), who will not serve as your representative, you must
  • Submit a [IMM 5475] Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Person (PDF, 593.57 KB) form. Get your selected person to electronically or manually sign the form, and upload it with your application.

Read: Top 10 Free IT Certifications for Veterans

How To Become A Permanent Resident Of Canada

Step 1. Gather Documents

What documents is needed?

With the help of the Document Checklist [IMM 5690] (PDF, 395.04KB), you can compile the required documentation.

Information of importance

Applications that aren’t complete will receive an email reply. Your application must contain the following for it to be deemed complete:

  • The details requested on the checklist for the principal applicant and dependents, the paperwork the principal applicant has completed, and any additional documentation we request.
  • Your application will be returned to you if you do not submit all the necessary data and supporting documentation. Upload them using the format we requested.

Document translation

Any document that is not in English or French must also include the following.

  • The translation into English or French; and, if the translator is not certified, an affidavit from the translator.

It is possible to translate by:

  • A speaker of the unofficial language who is also fluent in English or French; or a Canadian certified translator who is a current member in good standing of one of Canada’s provincial or territorial organizations of translators and interpreters.
  • The individual who completed the translation must provide an affidavit swearing to their language competency and the correctness of the translation if it wasn’t done by a Canadian licensed translator.

The affidavit must be signed in front of:

For Canada:

  • A commissioner of oaths, a notary public, or a commissioner of affidavits.
  • Each province and territory has its own certification authority.
  • Consult the provincial or territorial authorities in your area.

External to Canada:

  • A notary public is a person with the authority to administer oaths. Speak with the local government.

Warning exclamation point Important information: Neither the applicants themselves nor any of their family members may translate. Parents, guardians, siblings, spouses, common-law partners, conjugal partners, grandparents, children, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, and first cousins are all included in this.

An affidavit is a document on which the translator has professed under penalty of perjury that the contents of their translation are a true translation and representation of the contents of the original document in the presence of a person qualified to administer oaths in the nation where the translator resides. Affidavits are not necessary for Canadian-certified translators.

Certified true copies

To have a photocopy of a document certified, an authorized person must compare the original document to the photocopy and must print all of the following on the photocopy:

  • “I certify that this is a true copy of the original document”;
  • the name of the original document;
  • the date of the certification;
  • the name of the authorized person;
  • their official position or title; and
  • their signature.

How are copies certified?

  • Copies can only be certified by authorized parties.

Important information: Neither the applicants themselves nor their parents, guardians, siblings, spouses, common-law partners, conjugal partners, grandparents, children, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, or first cousins may certify copies.

Among those qualified to certify copies are the following:

For Canada:

a commissioner of oaths, a notary public, or a commissioner of affidavits.
Each province and territory has its own certification authority. To find out who has the power to certify, contact the provincial or territorial authorities in your area.

Beyond Canada:

A notary public Each country has its own requirements for notarizing papers for use abroad. Find out who has the power to certify in your nation by contacting your local authorities.

Police clearances

  • If you are 18 years of age or older and neither a permanent resident nor a citizen of Canada, you must present a valid police certificate for any nation other than Canada where you lived for six or more consecutive months after turning 18.
  • Note: If you or a member of your family was under the age of 18 for the entire time you were in a country, you do not need to present a police certificate from that nation.
  • You must get the original certificate translated by an authorized translator if it isn’t in English or French. Both the translation and the police certificate must be submitted.
  • They will also do their own background checks to determine if there are any factors that would prevent you or your family members from entering Canada.

Offenses or convictions outside of Canada

  • You may get over this criminal bar if you were convicted of or committed a crime outside of Canada.
  • If the offense would be an indictable offense in Canada with a maximum sentence of less than ten years in prison, you may be considered to have been rehabilitated by applying for rehabilitation or if at least ten years have passed since you completed the sentence imposed upon you or since you committed the offense.
  • The time for rehabilitation is at least five (5) years after the sentences imposed were served or are to be served, if the offense would be prosecuted summarily in Canada and you were found guilty of two (2) or more of these offenses.

Read: Most Affordable Online Colleges in Texas

Offenses and convictions in Canada

If you were convicted of a crime in Canada, you must request a record suspension (formerly known as a pardon) from the Parole Board of Canada (PBC) in order to enter the country.

Note: Do not complete the forms in this guide until you have received your record suspension.
You can request a Record Suspension Application Guide or additional information from:

Parole Board of Canada
Clemency and Record Suspension Division
410 Laurier Avenue West
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0R1
1-800-874-2652 (Callers in Canada and the United States only)
(The instructional guide and application forms can be downloaded from the website)

In order to be considered for a record suspension under the Criminal Records Act, a specified period of time must pass after the end of the sentence imposed. The sentence may have been payment of a fine, period of probation, or imprisonment.

Note: Once you have a copy of the record suspension, submit a photocopy to a Canadian visa office or Citizenship and Immigration Centre. If you are travelling to Canada carry a copy of the record suspension with you.

If you have had two (2) or more summary convictions in Canada, you may no longer be inadmissible if:

  • at least five (5) years have passed since all sentences imposed were served or to be served,
  • you have had no other convictions.

2. Finish the application.

To finish the application, adhere to the directions below.

  • Completing the application
  • Create an account on the Permanent Resident Online Application Portal or sign in.
  • To access each applicable form, click on its name, then complete it as directed. Some forms must be filled out using a web form, while others require you to submit a PDF.
  • Please use the web form to get in touch with us if you experience any technical issues with the portal.
  • In order to guarantee that you receive a prompt response, please indicate that you are applying under the provincial nominee program when choosing the kind of request from the drop-down choice for technical difficulties in the text box.

You must fill out these digital forms online

You’ll fill out these digital forms online (for yourself, and any family members 18 or older)

  • Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008)
  • Schedule A – Background/Declaration (IMM 5669)
  • Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)
  • Supplementary Information – Your travels (IMM 5562)

You must also fill out these PDF forms

Complete and sign these PDF forms, if they apply to you

It is a serious offence to give false or misleading information on these forms. The information you provide on your application may be subject to verification.

Be thorough and precise.

  • Complete each segment. Please indicate “Not Applicable” or “NA” if a section does not pertain to you. The processing of your application will be delayed if your application is incomplete and is returned to you.
  • Include an additional page with the relevant component on it, fill it out, and upload it with your application if you need more room for any section. The document type should be “other.”

Additional documents you can add to your online application:

  • Select “Other” from the drop-down option (Document type) and upload any supporting papers or other information you wish to submit along with your online application in one of the following formats: JPEG, PDF, or JPG.


When applicable, we will return applications with missing signatures through email without processing them.

By typing your full name precisely as it appears on your passport, you, as the principal applicant, will electronically sign for the entire application, including those of your family members.


  • Keep in mind to double-check any required signatures and sign online or by hand if necessary. We shall return your application without processing it if forms are not signed appropriately in the designated locations and by the designated signers.
  • On some forms, signatures may be needed more than once or from more than one individual.
  • Make sure to enter the date where one is required.
  • When a dependent child under the age of 18 needs to sign something, a parent or legal guardian must sign on their behalf.

Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008)

Who must fill out this application form?

This form must be completed by:

  • you, the principal applicant

Step 3: Pay the fees

Determining your fees

To get the total amount of fees due, use the table below. Your application must be submitted with the processing fee. To minimize delays, we advise you to pay the $515 right of permanent residency charge straight away. Before you may apply to become a permanent resident, you must pay it.

Application (per person) $CAN
Your application
Processing fee ($850) and right of permanent residence fee ($515)
Your application (without right of permanent residence fee) 850
Include your spouse or partner
Processing fee ($850) and right of permanent residence fee ($515)
Include your spouse or partner (without right of permanent residence fee) 850
Include a dependent child 230

Note: The $515 Right of Permanent Residence Fee is not required to be paid by the following people:

You, if you are the primary applicant and the dependent child of a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen; Your dependent children. You and your family members, if you are a protected person, must at the time of the application meet the requirements for “dependent child” status.

Biometrics fees $CAN
Biometrics (per person) 85
Biometrics (per family) (2 or more people)

Maximum fee for a family of 2 or more people applying at the same time and place


Payment Issues

  • Not included in the charge or not enough fees
  • We will return your application(s) if you do not pay the full amount due. You must return your application along with the necessary funds before we may begin processing it.
  • Question mark in blue For more details, see section 10 of the IRPR for immigration applications and section 13 of the Citizenship Act for citizenship applications.


In the event that you pay more than what is required for your application(s), we shall begin processing your request and issue a prompt refund.

Refund requests are not required. It will happen on its own.

Refunds will be given to the individual listed in the Payer Information section of the receipt (if one is included with a paper application or submitted as part of an online application), if you are qualified for one. We will send the refund to the applicant if you made your payment immediately through an online application (no receipt was included) or if the receipt has no name on it.

A halt sign

In Canada, only internet transactions are accepted. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will return your application if any additional forms of payment are received.

How to pay the fees for your application

To pay your fees for your application you’ll need:

  • a valid email address;
  • a credit card, Debit MasterCard® or Visa® Debit card.

Follow these instructions to pay your fees online.

Do not exit without printing or saving the receipt! The receipt is your proof of payment!

  • At the end, click on the “Save” button to save a PDF copy of the IRCC official receipt.
  • Upload a copy of this receipt to your online application when asked.

You will also have to pay fees to third parties for yourself and your family members (if applicable) for:

  • medical examinations
  • police certificates
  • language assessments

Step 4. Submit your application.

You can submit your application for processing now that it has been prepared. In order to facilitate the application’s processing as rapidly as possible:

  • Respond to all inquiries
  • Electronically Type your complete name precisely as it appears on your passport to sign your application.
  • Include your receipt for the processing cost
  • With your confirmation number, submit all supporting papers, including the letter of invitation to apply. You will receive a confirmation of submission, which you should keep for your records.

Submit the document checklist

Make sure you use and submit the Document Checklist (IMM 5690) (PDF, 395.04KB) along with your application forms and supporting documents.

Resulting Events

The procedure for applying

  • Verify the submission’s completion: We will verify that all necessary application forms have been accurately filled out and submitted, that the application processing fee has been paid, and that all necessary documents from the document checklist have been supplied once your application has been filed.
  • Your application will be returned to you if any required documents are missing. In some cases, your application may be rejected if you don’t supply the necessary documentation.
  • A notification that your application has been received; if it is complete, it will be processed. A letter or email will be delivered to you that:
  1. Informs you of this information and gives you your IRCC office file number.
  2. Gives you a quick overview of the processes that will be taken in the future to complete your file and lays out some basic directions for interaction with the IRCC office
  3. Review of processing for a decision
  4. A CIC Officer will carefully examine your application. All of the data and documents you have submitted will be taken into account by the Officer, who will compare it to the selection criteria in effect at the time.

Medical necessities

To become a permanent resident of Canada, you and your family members must go through an immigration medical examination (IME). You and your family cannot be suffering from a condition that:

  • Is harmful to public health or safety, or would put an unreasonably high demand on Canada’s social or health services.
  • Continuous hospitalization or institutional care for a medical or mental condition are examples of “excessive demand”.

Learn more about the medical tests for immigration.

Important information: You must notify us right once if your marital status or family structure changes (such as a marriage, common-law union, separation, divorce, childbirth, child adoption, death, etc.). You can never again sponsor a family member who hasn’t been inspected before you become a permanent residence.


You will receive information on medical instructions from the IRCC office. You will also receive medical forms for you (and any dependents, if appropriate) along with information on how to access a list of local physicians qualified to do IMEs when you receive your assessment notice (see below).

Nota Bene: An IME is not necessary before submitting your application materials.

Exam reliability

From the date of the IME, medical results are valid for a period of twelve months. You might need to undergo another medical examination if your application is not approved during this time.

Authorized physicians

A physician from the IRCC list of Panel Physicians must conduct the IME. If your family doctor’s name is not on this list, you cannot select them. For a list of physicians in your area, consult the Panel Physicians.

Keep in mind that the doctor can only conduct the IME; he or she cannot give you legal or immigration counsel.

Things that delay processing

The following may delay processing:

  • unclear photocopies of documents;
  • verification of your information and documents;
  • a medical condition that may need more tests or consultations;
  • a criminal or security issue;
  • consultation is needed with other offices in Canada or abroad.

Permanent resident status

If your application is successful, you and your family members will receive status as permanent residents of Canada. Some conditions will apply:

  • You will remain a permanent resident until you become a Canadian citizen, as long as you spend at least two (2) years of each five (5) year period in Canada. Otherwise you will lose your status.
  • You may leave and re-enter Canada as often as you wish.


As permanent residents, you and your family members will have the right to:

  • live, study and work in Canada for as long as you remain permanent residents
  • access most social benefits accorded to Canadian citizens (see “Limitations”)
  • apply for Canadian citizenship, and once granted, apply for a Canadian passport (once you have been a legal permanent resident for three (3) of the four (4) previous years)


There are a few limitations on permanent residents:

  • You cannot vote in certain elections.
  • You may be ineligible for certain jobs requiring high-level security clearances.
  • If you or any of your family members commit a serious crime, you or your family members risk being deported from Canada.


As permanent residents, you will also have the same legal obligations as Canadians, such as paying taxes and respecting all federal, provincial, and municipal laws.

The Permanent Resident Card

All new permanent residents will be issued a permanent resident card as part of the process. Cards will be mailed to your home address soon after you become a permanent resident. For more information on the Permanent Resident Card, visit Get a permanent resident card.

Current processing times

You can check current processing times on the Application processing times webpage.

In Canada and the United States

You may also Contact Us or go online to see the current status of your application:

  1. Click on Check application status, and
  2. Follow the instructions provided.

For details about how to remove your application status information from the Internet, visit the “Frequently Asked Questions” (FAQ) section.

If you are outside Canada and the United States:

Contact the Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate responsible for your region.

Updating your contact information

You must let them know if:

  • you want to withdraw your application
  • your family composition changes, such as:
    • birth or adoption of a child
    • marriage or divorce
  • you change your immigration representative
  • your mailing address or email address changes
  • a province or territory withdraws your nomination
  • you do not plan to live in the province or territory nominating you

If there are any changes to your situation, let us know by filling in the web form.

Protecting your information

Your personal information is:

  • available to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) employees who need to see it to provide the services to you, and
  • not disclosed to other organizations except as permitted under the provisions of the Privacy Act or the Citizenship Regulations.

For more information about the protection of your data, visit the Frequently Asked Questions/Help Centre.

Quality Assurance Program

Their quality assurance program randomly chooses applications for a special review. If chosen, They will ask you to attend an interview with an IRCC official to:

  • verify that the documentation and any other information you submitted is accurate,
  • verify that your application has been completed properly.

FAQS on How To Become A Permanent Resident Of Canada

What is the fastest way to get PR in Canada?

Express Entry is Canada's fastest and most popular immigration program. Candidates that apply through the Express Entry system can receive permanent residence status as soon as six months.

How many years does it take to get permanent residency in Canada?

Canada's residency obligation for permanent residents requires a person to be physically present inside of Canada for at least 730 days within a five-year period or to fall under one of several exceptions.

How hard is it to become a Canadian permanent resident?

The process will depend on the reason why you are moving and the length of your stay. If you plan to settle permanently in Canada, the easiest way is to enter the Express Entry Pool. Express Entry is an online expedited immigration application system with a processing time of approximately six months.

Which part of Canada gives PR easily?

In 2023, Quebec, Ontario, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia will be the four provinces to provide easy permanent residency in Canada. These provinces have been working hard to make the immigration process more streamlined and efficient, and as a result, they have become much more welcoming to newcomers in recent years.

Recommended for you:


Be the First to hear about new Scholarships. Set a Reminder now. Never miss an Opportunity.

Most Popular