The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is in charge of administering Australia Awards Scholarships, which are long-term awards.
According to bilateral and regional agreements, they seek to support the development requirements of Australia’s alliance partners.
People from developing nations, especially those in the Indo-Pacific area, are given the chance to enroll in full-time undergraduate or graduate programs at participating Australian universities and Technical and Further Education (TAFE) institutes.
Through study and research opportunities, Australia Awards Scholarships help people get the knowledge and skills they need to affect change and contribute to national growth.
- Deadline: Varies (Each Country has a specified deadline)
- Host: Australian Government
- Number of Scholarship Available: N/A
- Universities: Accredited Australian Universities
- Level: Bachelor, Master’s
Australia Awards Scholarships Condition
A contract stating that the applicant will abide by the scholarship’s terms must be signed with the Commonwealth of Australia before they may accept the Australia Awards Scholarships.
After receiving their scholarship, recipients must spend at least two years outside of Australia. If this isn’t done, the scholar will be responsible for paying back the full amount of their scholarship debt.
Benefits of the Australia Awards Scholarships
Australia Awards Scholarships are provided for the minimal amount of time required for the recipient to finish the academic program, including any relevant prerequisite training, as defined by the Australian higher education institution. The advantages listed below typically apply:
- Complete price of tuition
- Return air travel: payment of one-way, economy-class airfare to and from Australia by the shortest route; establishment allowance: a one-time payment to help with the cost of lodging, books for classes, and other study supplies.
- Contribution to Living Expenses (CLE) is a biweekly payment made at a rate decided by the department toward the cost of basic living.
- Before beginning formal academic courses, students must complete the mandatory Introductory Academic Program (IAP), which provides information about living and studying in Australia.
- For the length of the award (for the award recipient only), Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is offered to cover the scholar’s essential medical expenses (with the exception of pre-existing conditions)
- Pre-course English (PCE) fees may be charged to students for in-country or in-Australia instruction if considered essential.
- To assure a scholar’s academic performance or to improve their academic experience, additional academic help may be offered.
- For research prizes and coursework master’s degrees with a required fieldwork component, qualifying research students may be entitled to book one round-trip economy class flight on the most direct route to their home country or inside Australia.
Also Read: Commonwealth Shared Scholarship 2023
Method of Application and Eligibility
How to apply for Australia Awards Scholarships:
- To find out more about eligibility, priority areas, and application procedures, check the opening and closing dates for your nation and choose it from the list of participating nations. For opening and closing dates, visit the participating countries page.
- You must read the Australia Awards Scholarships Policy Handbook if you plan to apply. General eligibility requirements, selection procedures, entitlements, and responsibilities are all included in the manual. The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade may at any time and without prior notice change and update this manual.
- While some nations encourage and permit online applications, others demand paper applications, For further details, see your participating country profile.
Visit the Australia Scholarships Information System website (OASIS). You will need to provide some information while registering online in order to prove your eligibility. A special registration number, username, and password will subsequently be provided to you.
It’s not necessary for you to submit your application right away. Up until the specified closing date listed on the applicable participating nation profile, you can create a draft application form and make changes to it and your supporting documentation.
Your application cannot be modified after submission. It is strongly encouraged that candidates submit their online applications well in advance of the deadline. In the days before the deadline, OASIS is heavily used, therefore applicants might suffer delays.
Application by Email
You can apply by mail if you are unable to submit your application online. For information on how to get a hardcopy application form and any other templates, such as referee reports, please consult your participating nation profile (if applicable).
By the time outlined by your country, all hard copy application forms and accompanying papers must be submitted.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the application process for the Australian Award?
A contract stating that the applicant will abide by the scholarship's terms must be signed with the Commonwealth of Australia before they may accept an Australia Awards Scholarship. After receiving their scholarship, recipients must spend at least two years outside of Australia.
Is receiving an Australian Award scholarship simple?
You must meet certain requirements for English language competence, with the results current as of 1 January 2024, in order to be eligible for an Australia Awards Scholarship. You must, at the very least, have an overall IELTS (Academic) score of at least 6.5 with no band lower than 6.0.
What CGPA is necessary for an Australian Scholarship?
A grade point average (GPA) of 6.0/7 or higher is necessary to qualify for a 30% scholarship.
How much money in the bank must be available for an Australia student visa?
Applicants for Australian student visas must have A$21,041 in their bank accounts to cover living expenses, one year's worth of tuition, round-trip travel from the student's home country to Australia, and international student health insurance.