Application for the catapult developments grants Grants 2022 is now open. Catapult gives early support to propel project forward that hold the promise of a story that should be uniquely told in a film
Catapult Development grants 2022 provide development funding to documentary filmmakers who have a story to tell, have secured access and are ready create a fundraising piece to help unlock critical production funding. Catapult Development grants 2022 enable filmmakers to develop their project to the next level at the early stage when funding is hard to find. They support powerful and moving story telling,by filmmakers with a strong voice across a broad spectrum of subject matter.
Documentary filmmakers can apply for development grants ranging from US$5,000 to US$20,000.
Catapult accepts applicants who can arrange to have a US 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsor. Grantees will need a fiscal sponsor in order to receive the funds.
They believe in taking a chance on filmmakers who have ideas for artful and compelling nonfiction films that inspire us to think differently about the world. Catapult provides research and development funding to documentary filmmakers who have a meaningful story to tell, have secured access to their story, and are ready to create a visual sample to help unlock production support.
They embrace supporting filmmakers at a stage where funding for projects is hard to find and considered the riskiest. We seek filmmakers with authentic voices who tell stories with integrity, creativity, and genuinely represent their vision and perspective. Catapult supports a wide range of subject matter, stories, and storytelling approaches.
The Catapult team serves as advisors and advocates for our community of filmmakers. We amplify the impact of the grants by providing customized mentorship to filmmakers.
What kinds of projects is Catapult interested in funding?
Catapult Film Fund looks for powerful stories with central characters that weave a strong narrative. The project should be motivated first by story. Some types of films, such as survey, are less likely to be a good fit for Catapult, but they are always open to creative approaches.
What does Catapult fund?
Catapult gives early support to propel projects forward that hold the promise of a story that should be uniquely told in film. They provide development funding, up to $20,000, to documentary filmmakers who have a strong story to tell, have secured access, and are ready to create a fundraising piece to help unlock critical production funding.They enable filmmakers to develop their projects to the next level, at the early stage when funding is hard to find. They support powerful and moving storytelling, by filmmakers with a strong voice across a broad spectrum of subject matter.
What do you consider “development” for the purposes of the application?
Once you have a secure idea for your film, have done the initial research to determine its feasibility, have a sense of, and access to, your central characters and have figured out a compelling narrative to tell your story, you are ready to apply. Some projects have original material already, others don’t. If you already have an edited piece that you are using for fundraising, or are well into production, you are likely too far along for a Catapult grant. If you’re not sure, please feel free to contact us before applying. The purpose of the grant is to create this fundraising piece.
Details of Catapult Development grants 2022:
- Deadline: August 31, 2022.
- Funding: $20,000 grants
- Eligible nationalities: Applicable to all international citizens
- Type of opportunity: scholarship and fellowship
- Country: United states
- Organizer: Catapult film fund
Eligibility of Catapult Development grants 2022:
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older. Catapult does not fund student films.
- The project can be either a long-form/feature-length documentary or a short documentary; we do not accept series or fiction projects of any kind.
- Animation is okay. Documentary/narrative hybrids will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Research funds should be used for developing new nonfiction film ideas. Appropriate uses include: research, writing, travel, crew, identifying and gaining access to protagonists, and any preliminary production costs associated with shaping the artistic vision or capturing early footage.
- Catapult only makes grants to 501(c)(3) organizations. In most cases, this will mean getting a 501(c)(3) fiscal sponsor for the project. * A filmmaker may submit an application without a fiscal sponsor in place. Please see the FAQ section for more details.
Benefits of Catapult Development grants 2022:
- The selected project will receive a grant worth $20,000
Selection criteria of Catapult Development grants 2022:
- creative,artful, compelling and innovative storytelling techniques
- strong story narrative at the core of the film
- A unique perspective or approach; use of humour, a plus.
- contemporary relevance
- feasibility of the project with respect to its budget, financing, schedule and scope
- demonstrated ability of the creative team to have implemented previous project
- Grants amount should have significant impact on development stage of the project
- Emphasis on the story not the lesson or Agenda of the filmmaker
- Filmmaker must demonstrate credible and access and rapport with the proposed subject of the story
- Originality of form, approach or content
- Potential of the project to generate public discourse and social engagement
How to apply Catapult Development grants 2022:
- Click on APPLY NOW. You will be asked to register with Submittable, which involves entering contact information and choosing a username and password. Communications regarding your submission will be sent to the email you are logged in with to complete this application.
- Fill out the online application. You can save it and return to it before the November 15th deadline.
- Fill out the online application. You can save it and return to it as often as needed until you are ready to submit. You will need to submit the application by August 31st at midnight PST.
- You will need a log line, project description, narrative treatment, budget information, and filmography or resumé. Applicants must submit an online sample of their previous work and if available a sample from the proposed project.